G.C.E A/L HISTORY 2017 PAPER 3
Candidates are required to answer FOUR questions, choosing ONE from each of the four sections. All questions
carry equal marks.
You are reminded of the necessity for good English and orderly presentation in your answers.
SECTION A: AFRICA, 1800-1945
1. “Despite efforts made by the British Navy, Slave Trade still continued along the West African Coast after 1807.” Discuss.
2. With specific examples from Sierra Leone and Nigeria, evaluate the contributions of Christian Missionary
activities towards education in the 19th century. (25 marks)
3. Why and with what consequences did Emperor Menelik defeat Italy at Adowa in 1896? (25 marks)
SECTION B: AFRICA, 1945 TO THE PRESENT
4. To what extent did the activities of the “Colons” influence the rise of Algerian nationalism? (25 marks)
5. Analyse the causes and consequences of civil wars in Africa since 1960. (25 marks)
6. What circumstances led to the collapse of the racist policy of Apartheid in South Africa and what were the
consequences? (25 marks)
SECTION C: WORLD REVOLUTIONS AND DIPLOMACY, 1700-1919
7. How far can the demise of James II be attributed to his religious inclination? (25 marks)
8. To what extent did the activities of King George III of England contribute to the outbreak of the War of
American Independence? (25 marks)
9. The events in the Balkans between June and August 1914 made the First World War inevitable. Discuss.
SECTION D: WORLD; 1919 TO THE PRESENT DATE
10. Evaluate the contributions of Anglo-French Appeasement in the 1920s and 1930s to the collapse of Collective
Security. (25 marks)
11. How far was the outbreak of World War II a product of Hitler’s aggressions? (25 marks)
12. “Beneficial but imperialistic.” Justify this description of relations between La Frcmcophonie and her developing member nations. (25 marks)